Music Banter - View Single Post - It's Big Beat week!
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Big beat, and specifically the artists mentioned in the quote, are what I typically associate with the term "electronica" as I really hate that label applied to any and all electronic music. I never explored deeper than those artists and maybe a few others, personally. Not a huge fan of the style. I used to really like Fatboy Slim, but then one day he really started to annoy me and now I can't stand his music. I think Rockafeller Skank had something to do with it, god what a terrible song I can't believe that was so damn popular. Wait, yes I can. The only Fatboy Slim release I still would recommend is his mix On the Floor at The Boutique. The only drawback is the inclusion of Rockafeller Skank at the end. But at least it's at the end and I can just stop the CD at that point. But this is probably a great starting point for someone wanting to explore big beat, with many old-school tracks or samples that were influencial to the genre included. I think he's a great DJ, I just don't like his productions.