Music Banter - View Single Post - Crash's Daily Reader
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #47 (permalink)
Flower Child
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_override View Post
- 27 AUG 2010 -

So in high contrast to yesterday, today was not a good day. Work sucked and it was just overall one of those days you want to curl up in the corner and sleep the day away. But an afternoon nap has alleviated most of that and now I'm left with a residual drowsy, almost numb feeling. So I'm going to kick back a few cold ones and watch a movie, and of course jam on the song of the day a few times and I'll just call myself in the morning.

Normally I'm pumped on Friday's, and as Shannon Hoon once said, "Friday's are always fresh days". But todays was some sort of weird exception to that logic, today just felt long and monotonous, like the same ****ty day I've lived over and over again like some disgruntled postal worker. So, in a tribute to getting a buzz being the answer to all your problems on a day when you could just blow someone away, here's the song of the day...

Song of The Day: Smoke & Wine (Acoustic) - Hank Williams III

Ah, if a song described the kind of day I just had any better than this song, it would just be creepy to me. This song is a gem of a traditional country song that stands out in a landfill full of commercialized Keith Urban, tractor drivin', designer cowboy hat wearin' garbage. This song stands out to me because it's what country is traditionally all about, drinking your problems away the old fashioned way, al la Merle Haggard, George Jones, and Johnny Cash; Hank III takes us back a step and forward a step at the same time, and you can't ask for much more than that from a modern country star. So, enough with the talk, lets turn that bottle upside down. Enjoy.
You always make me proud, Crash.

I've actually never really checked out Hank III. Partly because I thought he looked like a modern day Jed Clampett and partly because I listened to Shooter Jennings, son of Waylon, once and was dissapointed so I guess I just dismissed the rest of the country star kin too quickly.

I'm so glad you posted this. I really enjoyed that guitar and banjo intro. I have to say I really have to applaud the guy for stepping out of that 'I have a deep voice, a twang, and a cute western shirt so that makes me a country music star' fasad.

He reminds me more of Hank Sr. than his father with that bluegrassy hillbilly sound. He sounds just like something that would have come out of the Ozark Mountains back in the 30s. I like it. Great write up.
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote