Music Banter - View Single Post - The Toasty 50
Thread: The Toasty 50
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #194 (permalink)
Dayvan Cowboy
Basscadet

#4: Don Caballero: What Burns Never Returns

OMFG, best math album ever! (that came out a bit n00bish, sorry) Everything about this album is stunning, from Damon Che's eight-armed drumming to Ian Williams complicated, crystalline guitar melodies. This is THE math rawk album to get if you're new to the genre. If you don't listen to math rock, GODOWNLOADITNAO! but, don't get anything after American Don because it's not the true Don Cab, and is just Damon Che show-off crap, devoid of Ian Williams's undeniably epic energy, and wicked guitar playing.

The album opens with Don Caballero 3, a straightforward, stern song, with Williams' atonal guitar rambling, and Damon Che's mathy beats on the drums. This song has two distinct parts, the stern beginning, and the sunnier second part, with a much less stern melody, and is less atonal. The next track, Charging Bull (whose full title is over ten words long) is a fan favourite off of the the album. This song is very minimalist, but in a good way, with guitar ramblings that bring a tear to my eye. The 2:20 mark and onwards, is one of Math Rawk's best moments, with one of the best guitar lines in the history of rock. And my god, the drums on this album are so warm sounding, and pretty! I could go on forever about them! The next track, Delivering The Groceries At 138 Beats Per Minute, is a distortion filled, manly song, with a big, caveman-esque guitar line that just defines my laws of awesome. Slice Where You Live Like Pie, the mathiest, most confusing track on the album, is gorgeous, With it's distinctly minimalist guitar grooves, and ever-changing beats. I've never heard instrumental music this emotional, or complexly beautiful. Room Temperature Suite, is my favourite off of the album, with it's undeniably sunny, Spring feeling to it. It's so warm sounding, and it truly touched my heart. Also, there's an interesting story behind this track: my friend (who's a drummer) wanted to know what I listen to, so I put this track on. I have never seen somebody's brain melt at that rate before. She was a bit amazed by what time signature the bro on this record was drumming in. A truly amazing, alien track, in my opinion. The album's best. The World In Perforated Lines, the album's most sad, pissed off track, is the first Caballero song I've ever heard, and still amazes me to this day. I wish the track lasted longer, as it is the shortest on the album. From The Desk Of Elsewhere Go, one of the sadder sounding songs on the album, conveys feelings of pain, and despair without having a single word spoken. That my friends, takes talent. The last piece, June Is Finally Here, is truly beautiful, gorgeous and sunny. This song has special meaning to me, because my birthday is on June 3rd, and I would always play this on my birthday. Whenever I hear it, Memories of birthdays from the past pop up, along with feelings of love, happiness and anticipation.

This album is a math rawk classic. Everything from the album cover (one of my favourite covers ever) to the music behind the cover is pure gold. If you're new to math rock, or want to check out to see what the genre's hype is all about, try this album out. Only if we could try to make new Don Cab suck less'....
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote