Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Meat Really Murder?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #596 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by This_Is_Corey View Post
That was pretty funny. On that note, I'm a pescetarian, meaning I only eat fish. I used to be a full fledged vegetarian, but I went to too many nice restaurants with my family and ordered salad to not eat fish. I don't eat chicken or red meat cause I think the way animals are farmed is often pretty messed up (but fish farming isn't better I'd imagine). At anyrate, seeing the way a cow is held before its butchered makes me sad enough to refrain from steak.
A childhood friend of mine is also a "pesco-vegetarian" like you are, This_Is_Corey.

Finding only salad at fancy restaurants *is* disheartening. Been there! I always ask if the chef can create a vegan meal. At the fancy restaurants they usually can. Even at restaurants that specialize mostly in slabs o' cows and pigs! Ideally, you call ahead to give them advance warning if you have a reservation.

I actually think the chefs get a little excited when I order something vegan, because they come up with some pretty exciting and tasty stuff, like puffed pastry filled with roasted garlic mushrooms and garnished with asparagus and almond slices. It is probably more fun for the *good* chefs to make an interesting vegan dish than to grill yet another potato and steak.

I agree with you, of course, about the cows and the sadness of them being killed. I actually first wanted to be vegetarian, though, because of watching someone bludgeon a fish to death when I was 5. I refused to eat it and went without my dinner since I was told to either eat the fish or nothing.

You're right about the problems of fish farming, which can actually exacerbate the current and growing problem of overfishing of wild fish. Aquaculture can be bad for fish and bad for people who eat them and bad for the environment...but there are more environmentally friendly aquaculture models that recycle water, etc., and don't crowd the fish so much. Fish Farming

I've never wanted to eat fish because my first pet friend was a fish, and I spent a lot of time in rivers when I was growing up getting to know the wild fish. I got to recognize some of them as individuals. One of them even let me pet him/her. Maybe the fish was just slow due to some disease, but I liked to think that she or he didn't mind a little back scratch!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote