Music Banter - View Single Post - This is one of the most retarded articles I think I've ever read
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Nine Black Poppies
Music Addict

Reading the comments on that was actually more interesting than the article itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyshape View Post
Didn't know people like this existed in real life that weren't under the age of 17.
What's sad is there are tons of people who see life through a lens like this (hers happens to be psuedo-feminism, but it's the same principle for other things too).

It's frustrating though, because I do see a point buried in the hysteria and crap like this makes it harder to discuss that point intelligently and still be taken seriously.

It does speak to the interesting nature of language, though. What she doesn't take into account is how words are abstracts, without inherent meaning. Language changes and evolves because of how words are interpreted--the power of a word is in the response it evokes, not necessarily the intended meaning.

Kind of the old "bullies on the playground" strategem--don't get upset and the power dynamic starts to change. Misuse hyperbole and you just reenforce the problem.