Music Banter - View Single Post - The Realm Of Soft Delusions - The Smashing Pumpkins' Discography Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #21 (permalink)
SGR
No Ice In My Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1986 View Post
Ssssshhh. I have nightmares about that song. I really don't know what possessed Billy to write that song or the record company to approve of it. I surely assume it's there to make the rest of Melon Collie sound better
I'm not too big on it either, but the end of Mellon Collie is one of my favorite parts. You've got "By Starlight," "Beautiful," and "Farewell & Goodnight." I still don't care much for "Lily" though. I disliked "Beautiful" quite alot at one point, but it has definitely grown on me. When I listen to it on my iPod, I can hear D'arcy in one ear and Billy in the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Black Poppies View Post
Maybe. Heh. But I still would've put "Set the Ray to Jerry" or "The Last Song" in its place.

Anyway, I really like Adore for the most part. As for the Machinas though... especially between them, there's probably a great album there, but neither Machina or Machina II is all that great the way it stands. There are a few songs that work really well with the treatment they're given ("Vanity," "Wound") but as whole albums they just sound too... homogenized for me--everything's kind of fuzzed out and glossy which prevents songs from standing out the way they did on prior records (MICS especially).

Anyway, intrigued for the rest of this.
There are quite a few songs that could have replaced songs on Mellon Collie. 'The Aeroplane Flies High' is full of good songs.

Yeah Machina is overproduced, still a good album though.

I hope to have the Siamese Dream review up sometime soon.

Last edited by SGR; 09-04-2010 at 08:03 AM.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote