Music Banter - View Single Post - One Very Important Thought: Dayvan Cowboy's Confessions As A BOC Nut
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Dayvan Cowboy
Basscadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
It's not a case of people being haters.

You mentioned why you thought new prog was better than old prog, that's fair enough. But you've not actually mentioned any old prog at all to say why it's better, other than a quick dismissal of King Crimson compared to one band.

How much old prog have you actually heard? Can? Hawkwind? Soft Machine? Neu? Agitation Free? Cluster? Amon Düül? Art Bears? .. I could go on.

Battles & Mars Volta .. they're ok. I don't hate them or anything but listening to them and then putting on a Soft Machine album or an Art Bears album straight after and the 'progressive' label almost seems laughable.

And imagination & creativity beats out technology every single time.
First of all, I have heard of a lot of older prog, and I'm actually a big NEU! fan, with NEU! '75 being one of my top albums. I'm not a big Can fan, and I think they're slightly overrated. Maybe I haven't just gotten them yet, or something.

And also, I thought I'd say that more technology can equal more creativity, because you can sample odd noises, manipulate voices, speed music up efficiently, and make a messed up masterpiece.
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote