Music Banter - View Single Post - The "I Have No Idea Who The Hell That Is" thread
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rickenbacker
/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Birds View Post
hey mods if there's a thread exactly like this delete mine

basically the thread title gives away the point of this thread, every single day i hear about hundreds of different bands or artists i have never heard, and obviously i can't listen to all of them so how in the world do i pick out the ones i won't end up regretting later? by asking someone about them of course!

just a few names i came across within an hour:
Renaissance
Sleepy Sun
Hatfield and the North
Mumford and sons
crystal castles
LCD Soundsystem
The Unicorns
Strawfoot
Wintersleep
Treepeople
Ghost Mice
Talking Heads
Portishead

Lulu
These are the ones that I think are worth checking out. LCD Soundsystem is an indie/dance-punk band that plays music influenced by the post-punk of new wave bands of the late 70s. They're pretty overrated, but their second album Sound of Silver is definitely worth checking out.

Treepeople is the first band of Built to Spill frontman Doug Martsch. They've got a pretty different sound but they're good too. Definitely check out Built to Spill too.

Talking Heads is basically the best and most influential band to come out of the New York/CBGB scene in the late 70s. That's really all there is to it.

Portishead are an influential trip-hop band from the UK that were a driving force behind the genre's proliferation along with Massive Attack in the 90s. Check out their debut album "Dummy" from 1994
Rickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote