Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beatles vs The Beach Boys
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 02:03 AM   #105 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I don`t think its any secret about the different tastes that the individual Beatles had, and their incorporation of these influences were just part of the process of any great band, admittedly the Beatles did this process better and more varied than anybody else. I particuarly liked George Harrison, because like most people that listen to the Beatles for the first time, its the songs by John and Paul that are usually the best known, if you dig deeper you find George is the gem and in George`s work there is a spirituality and sensitivity more evident IMO than in the work of the others. He also introduced the group to indian mysticism and the few songs that he composed on each album were usually classics! Nearly all his gems have been covered over the years by other bands.

As for the Byrds you need to listen to the albums "Fifth Dimension" and "Younger Than Yesterday" IMO their two best and its on these albums that they predate the Beatles in certain styles of music, that the Beatles themselves would later indulge in.
I've only ever listened to Beatles songs and not read much about who made which ones, so I didn't know George was the main person who drew the band into Indian mysticism. Thanks for the Byrds album suggestions! I'll listen to the first two and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalsBass View Post
I agree the Byrds were a good band and I give them the credit they deserve, but I cant say I agree that the Byrds would be a better match-up against the Beatles, or that the Byrds are better than the Beach Boys..no way!
Hey, the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations" uses a theremin and "Vegetables" includes the sound of Paul McCartney crunching on celery! Let's see the Byrds out-do those, VB! Celery percussion is hawt!!!

The Beach Boys - The Vegetables
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote