Music Banter - View Single Post - Garage band equivalent for PC
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
stormjh
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
I feel sorry for you about having to use Audacity.
I had a multimedia class during the summer semester for some extra cred and we had to do a music project on Acoustica Mixcraft... I tried, and in the end I just took an Incomplete on the project because it was too embarrassing. I use Sonar 8.5PE and have been using Sonar so long, I can't step down from that. It's like cutting off a painter's hands and expecting him to produce the same work using his mouth.

For beginners, I'd suggest something simple like Sony Acid Pro, then move up to Cubase and Ableton. Then if they get serious about multi-track recording, producing, mixing and mastering, Sonar is where it's at for a complete package without breaking the bank.
Pro-Tools may be the industry standard, but like you said, it's dependent on proprietary hardware and weighing that and the price, Sonar is nowhere near a step down. Even in the features and quality department.
Sonar is a very underrated DAW.

People say protools is expensive, but I picked it up for about £200, with an interface, which isn't particularly expensive.