Music Banter - View Single Post - Is it possible to be an Original Band?
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 08:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dezzy
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookers with machineguns
Well, you can't say a musician is totally inauthentic because of their influence(s). Writers, painters, even politicians have influences. Even if a band say worshipped the Beatles and basically rewrote their songs, there is room for originality, just based on how they interpret a given Beatles song.

There's a lot of creative talent out there, I think AITA was trying to say something like this, but success has really nothing to do with it (damn trend setters). Maybe what she was trying to say was, people tend to stick to a certain sound and dont realize what's out there.
Going with what you say with regards to The Beatles. I have always liked them but still have not heard everything by them, but have heard loads&loads. I also really like Oasis and have heard every studio recording except the new album. To me they are similar in someways but not a rip off as ppl bemoan. They have thier own unique sound.
Certain songs from my favourite bands are clearly influenced by others. Take for example, I am the resurection - Stone Roses. I love this so much and think I'll never tire of it, in parts I can hear Hendrix coming through.
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote