Music Banter - View Single Post - Musicbanter Improvement Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #640 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
They own a whole bunch of forums & sites, not just one

Advameg, Inc.
Hey, they have quite a few interesting sites besides ours, such as my favorites: "How Products are Made," "Encyclopedia of Children's Health," "Nutrition and Well-being A to Z," "Encyclopedia of the Unusual and Unexplained" (!) and "Religious Forums."

I decided to look up four topics using these sites, and was pleased with the results, which were very informative and quite accurate: hockey pucks, circumcision, veganism, and space aliens.

I learned:
Quote:
Early pucks were made by gluing two pieces of rubber together (sometimes from recycled tires). Because of this construction, the pucks could split when they hit the goal post. During the 1931-1932 season, a puck with beveled (sloped) edges was used. By midseason, complaints by players and teams led to the return of the original puck. Though there was no official NHL puck until the 1990-1991 season, the basic construction from the early 1900s remained the same.

How hockey puck is made - material, manufacture, history, used, processing, parts, components, composition, procedure, product, machine, History, Raw Materials, Design
See, the I.T. team must be busy scouring their sites and making sure everything is ship-shape, with accurate puck and alien information!

Actually, one big advantage I see in *not* having a lot of contact with the owners is that this site is fairly free in terms of what people can say or cannot say in their posts. Some sites don't let you discuss a whole range of topics freely. For example, at another fine music forum, I asked the administrator if I could make a post about free speech, and I was told it would probably be closed quite quickly because of people arguing! (!!!)

So, although other music sites might have a few prettier amenities, I still prefer MB. And I'm not just saying that to suck up in case the owners are visiting. Really. No, really!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 09-07-2010 at 08:49 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote