Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Album ('cause i don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #770 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
That's how I am now. I used to be all about the introductory greatest hits album. I figured it should be their best, so if I would like any of the music I would like it on the greatest hits. I have since learned the error of my ways.
There are certain circumstances where having an artists Greatest Hits album is the best way to go, but it usually doesn't serve as a good introduction to their music.

Artists who are very singles oriented, who tend to put out albums with a handful of good songs surrounded by filler definitely merit a greatest hits album. There are actually some great bands who I prefer to have the greatest hits of. I love Steely Dan, but aside from maybe Aja, I'm not going to sit and listen to any of their albums start to finish. I'd rather just happen to have a playlist of the songs I love. A Decade of Steely Dan pretty much fits that bill.

There's also a lot of music released pre-1960's that was never released in full-length LP format, so singles compilations is almost critical If you want to amass a good amount of an artist's material. A lot of Jazz, blues, and first wave ska is like that.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote