Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #105 (permalink)
music_phantom13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Agreed, jail has never been about 'punishment' rather than making the rest of society feel more comfortable by removing dangerous people. Not to mention there's the whole problem of overcrowded prisons right now...

mr. dave seems to be under the false assumption that the world is a righteous place, that everything works out right and everyone feels the same way and has the same morals as he does.

As for that Mr. Pickton he linked to, the only reason I see to keep him alive is to study his behavior to better understand sociopaths and the like. Otherwise, you risk a possible escape (a la Ted Bundy) from jail. After all, it's not like his 'life-term' years in prison will make him a reformed citizen, unless you're counting the after-life.
No, in reality hardly anyone is actually staying on topic with the question. The question is whether it's selfish to commit suicide in any circumstance. Yes, it's selfish to kill yourself because you want to avoid a life long prison sentence that you were given for serious crimes you commited.

And to whoever posted a response to me before, I'm not going into any sort of moral argument on this, I'm just saying that it is indeed selfish because you are doing something drastic for yourself at the pain of others. I was just answering the question asked. And to note, I don't think it's cowardly, depression is a mental health disorder that's just sometimes too strong.