Music Banter - View Single Post - Lady Gaga
Thread: Lady Gaga
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #1587 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
No her point is LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME.
Oh sure, I agree...gaining attention is part of her plan. And it is possible she actually *wants* to be viewed as "meat" and her picture of herself in steaks can be taken at face value. But don't you think she could also be intentionally trying to be thought-provoking through the images of her?

Quote:
Here's a clue, If you keep on having to explain to people why your art is so deep then perhaps the reason for this is because you are not showing that in your art well enough.

Don't tell people, show them.
But she *is* showing and not always just telling people, Urban! She has made all these unusual images of her, and she doesn't always explain what they are supposed to mean or what her intentions are, as far as I know. So viewers and listeners are left to wonder about the meaning. Seeing depth in art doesn't mean the art has to be clear or clean or easy.

I like her Paparazzi song and video, for example, because it takes the LOOK AT ME idea and plays with it, exploring different aspects of what it means to be the viewer and the viewed. The subject matter of the video/song has several layers, but summarizing them I'd say it deals with what people want and take from each other, and why, and whether it is right or wrong to use other people to achieve your own goals.

I feel the song is pretty and sad, her voice is lovely, and the images in the video are memorable because they are startling. Just in case you haven't watched it (and I can't imagine you haven't, but maybe not?)...:

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote