Music Banter - View Single Post - The songs that matter.
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

MADONNA

What? Madonna? Are you sure? Well of course I am. This is 1984 don't ya know? The track Like A Virgin was everywhere but I never liked that track and still don't but a much more important thing happened in that year. I acquired my first walkman. I was 12 and about 4 foot nothing with music still a facet of my personality even if I didn't know it yet.

I already had a paper round at that time for money (as my dad said that he would not pay for a pair of decent trainers unless I paid for them myself- feck you dad I did it!) so I managed to buy a cassette walkman and the very first cassette I bought was Madonna's Like A Virgin.

Again music provided a soundtrack to my life, specifically summer 1985 and with this being one of only 3 or 4 cassettes I had at the time (cannot remember the rest), it was on constant rotation whilst doing my paper round in what seemed like a never ending summer of blazing heat and naivety.

Even then certain songs stood out for whatever reason and the second half of the album (the B side of the cassette) being particularly stronger.

Like A Virgin was one of the very first CD's I bought when first getting a C.D player and I think my copy is around 20 years old now but it still get's a listen (in fact I played it less than 2 weeks ago) and despite some obviously dated pop, it still boasts some decent tunes for what is essentially throwaway Pop music. The cover of Love Doesn't Live Here Anymore is genuinely top class and Stay remains a solid Pop song too.

Nostalgia is an overrated word but when certain songs still work and hold up then I feel that I should acknowledge them as essential stepping stones to bigger and brighter things.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote