Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Album ('cause i don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #807 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalDiotima View Post
I think what matters to you is a choice of your own. For instance, i was talking to someone on here who won't listen to Burzum because he's racist and burns churches and murders people (his words, not mine), even though he doesn't sing about that. It bothers me more that Tom Araya is Catholic but sings about being a follower of Satan for dramatic effect than that Varg Vikernes burns churches - at least he stands by his ideals (whether or not I agree with them) and doesn't just pretend to be a certain way for metal points. I find that to be way more true to metal. It is what matters to me. It doesn't have to be what matters to anyone else. And, as i already stated, their Catholicism is not why i dislike Slayer. In fact... i would go so far as to say that I do like slayer, just not Tom Araya.
Ha - that's funny. Or like ironic at least. How do you figure that Araya is "pretending" any more than Varg (doesn't that mean 'wolf' in some language? What a fake)?
I wager that Araya has a deeper understanding of his own background and religion than wolfman does. Exploration of darkness is the essence of Catholicism - especially for American Hispanic Catholics. Perhaps Varg needs to experience life outside of the liberal 80s Scandinavian politics that spawned the region's fairly ridiculous 90s black metal scene and a posh jail cell before he can ponder what the meaning of 'extreme' is, eh?

If you're just asking why Slayer is a good metal band then here is my response:
Araya screamed with more hardcore punk finesse than any of the other 'big ones', Lombardo played better drums than pretty much everybody since the Jazz greats, and King played ingeniously unintuitive, nonsensical guitar solos that stir the soul more than any xenophobic Norwegian asshole ever has. If you like Wolfie but hate Araya, and this bias reflects in your metal taste, then I doubt you're much of a music fan.