Music Banter - View Single Post - Church Plans on Burning Qur'an on September 11th
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #92 (permalink)
bungalow
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seussicide View Post
Uhhh... just in case you were unsure of the hierarchy here... Religion > Law...uhhh yeah. And you basically typed about four lines of nothing, void of any substance.
actually, i asked you a question (where is your righteous indignation over bible burnings, and, as big3 alluded to, the countless other acts that are offensive towards christians acted out every day for no reason other than offending christians?). common sense allows me to fill in the blanks occasionally--there is no indignation, and certainly no one calling for bible-burnings to be illegal. but the threat of rioting and violence from the muslim community leaves you shaking in your boots and questioning this man's right to burn whatever the hell he wants so long as it isn't alive. which brings me to the other thing i did in my post--call you a ninny.

moving on. religion > law---what does this even mean? the idea of religion is greater than the idea of laws? religious law is greater than man's law? i know we live in the short-hand ADD internet generation, but you're going to have to muster up more than a greater-than symbol to make your point. i don't know how to respond to a statement as vague and nonsensical as "religion > law." i'm not even sure what law you're talking about or why 'law' got brought in to it. the first amendment is not a law, it is a declaration of your natural right, as one of god's children, to uninhibitedly express yourself in whatever way you may choose. a law is stop at traffic lights illuminated red. the first amendment is not a law but a recognition of and assurance that your natural rights as a human being will never be infringed upon by the government.

one does not, i should note, have a natural right to NOT BE offended. therefore my right to express myself (which IS a natural right) trumps whatever obligation you think i have to respect you or your belief system. and that applies to anyone. so it should be clear that this man's symbolic expression (and anyone trying to argue that this is not symbolic expression is lying through their teeth, not least to themselves) is more important to protect than the feelings of muslims who are upset over this.

edit: i see zaqarbal is so clearly and thoroughly deconstructing the sentiments opposed to him, my posts aren't necessary.

Last edited by bungalow; 09-11-2010 at 04:02 PM.
bungalow is offline   Reply With Quote