Music Banter - View Single Post - Crystal Castles
Thread: Crystal Castles
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #100 (permalink)
Schizotypic
Souls of Sound Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumorAttitude View Post
I don't get the hate for MGMT either. They're major label sell-outs, so what. They're the coolest rockstars (and by rockstars, I mean top 10 songs and albums) of our generation and they make some damn good music. IDGAF if they're corporate.
I actually like their first album, but the second album disappointed me for some reason- I forget why it's been so long. Also, I like a lot of hipster music: NMH, animal collective, MGMT, etc. I think for some reason crystal castles being in the same genre as those bands doesn't rub me right at all, at some levels it makes me angry. I was excited to hear their new album, but I was really expecting them to just improve and become a better EDM band. So I guess when I saw their new album had singles, and MV's that to me looked aimed at a crowd, and sounds which were more pop-like-- I was just like "how could the fans of the band I was listening to ever like this?"

I'm not saying I can't enjoy a good electronic pop album, there's a lot of pop music I like. Margo Guryan for instance, but it's hard for me to appreciate the transition- I want dance tunes. Also, anyone who says they never were even a bit EDM isn't considering all the shows they played at raves like H.A.R.D Hunted House alongside the best up and coming DJ's, or the fact that their real second album was called "Remixed and Rewired."

Last edited by Schizotypic; 09-11-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Schizotypic is offline   Reply With Quote