Music Banter - View Single Post - One Very Important Thought: Dayvan Cowboy's Confessions As A BOC Nut
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvan Cowboy View Post
Scenes

The other day, I was milling around by the high school down my street with my uber-indie friend, who said that she wanted me to meet some girl from her class. She said that she's pretty cool and hangs around with equally cool people. I agreed, simply out of curiosity, just to see what this girl was like. Well, I met her, and her predominantly male group, and introduced myself to the group of seven people.

Well, before then, I always wondered what scene I wanted to become familiar with. I didn't know if I wanted to be an indie kid, because the indie kids around here are pretty damn annoying, and I would be ashamed to associate myself with them, and I could associate myself with the nerds, but my knowledge of science fiction or star wars wasn't to their standards, so I kept myself away from any form of scene or subculture.

Well, the people that I met wore predominantly black clothes, and were a little quiet, and had their MP3 players at all times. Once I saw one person's EITS T-shirt, I knew who I was dealing with. I was in a group of post rockers. They had unkempt hair, and a blank, timid look on their faces, and I instantly connected to their bleakness. They welcomed me into their F#A# infinity discussion and their distaste over how Tyondai left Battles, and I decided that I wanted to be one of these people.

The next day, after an exchange of phone numbers, I got a call from one of the girls there asking if I wanted to hang out with them and be a part of their group. I instantly came over to their gathering in the local park at sunset and we talked about nature, we talked about Mono and If These Trees Could Talk, we even got into a few moral discussions, which are right up my alley. I think I've finally found a scene I could be a part of.
Ahh childhood. I remember being a part of what you could consider a scene in highschool... we all listened to punk predominantly, some of us were skateboarders, most musicians, and all of us drank and did whatever drug we came across, and were generally anti everyone else. I guess what made us all stick together is we all had the same lifestyle and the music was a byproduct of that. When people did it the other way around, we called them posers. Now days, I couldn't care less about what the scene is. But it's always good to fit in somewhere when you're young. It's a part of building your identity and it's cool that you've found some folks you click with.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote