Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #7997 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberNineDream View Post
^I usually simply get mind fuked at every time.
If you want to find sense, you just will, you don't need the director to spoon-feed it to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
Actually, his films make a lot of sense, they just demand a participation and an effort on your part as a viewer, as well. But, that sense is surreal, so you're not going to fully grasp everything with a strictly analytical, 'mathematical' mindset. You have to let your imagination do the thing also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
That's a damn shame to hear. I've got to disagree with you, though. There's always abstract art present in society. In film, I find it rare that anyone steps outside of their comfort zone. Though I haven't seen all of his Lynch's films, I can definitely attest from the ones I've viewed that this director does not follow any kind of standard formula and for that alone, I've got respect for him as an artist. His films are always open for interpretation, and some people like it, some people don't. I know I'm not always in the mood for it. Just as I'm not always in the mood to read something really deep that provokes unavoidable thoughts, or analyze a piece of art that thrives off the observer's point of view. That is why I prefer music. Though always open to interpretation, you can simply sit, listen and absorb.
I don't dislike his films... I actually enjoy watching them. It's not that I want to be spoon-fed an easy plot and message under a standard film-style overlay. I just don't think that the only good movies are the ones you have to put together in your own mind after the fact. I like the atmosphere he creates, and I like most of the concepts he actually makes apparent. But I just get the nagging feeling that his movies contain more surrealism than is actually needed, unless his entire point is to be as surreal as possible.
I guess if I was supposed to feel like I was watching a moving painting by Salvador Dali and not really get anything out of it except what I wanted to, then I'd be happy. I'm just not much of a daydreamer. So that may be entirely my fault.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote