Music Banter - View Single Post - member bans
Thread: member bans
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #110 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Boo Boo doesn't have a posting problem, he has some demons he needs to sort out IRL.

I mention this to point out that there are some emotional concerns there, that in no way condone his postings nor should they be excuses that alleviate his sentence, but I don't think we should look at Boo Boo in the same light as our traditional ****-head trolls because I don't think its the same syndrome. Trolls tend to be the alchemy-ed outcome of dead boredom and the intoxicating anonymity of the internet.

This is not Boo Boo.
I think he contributes quite well when he does, and I think that if he stayed the **** out of the Lounge he'd be fine. He should also make a large, well reasoned argument and let the chips fall where they may but you can't teach people patience.

But there comes a point where you've discussed a poster long enough, and at some point you need to salvage the quality of the community. With all due respect to Yac, I've spoken with him before and the owners of these boards see us as the least-lucrative black-sheep. In essence, we're on our own for better or worse, and that means our currency must be quality.
I agree with your basic assessment of the situation with Boo Boo, Big3, just like SATCHMO...and I also feel what you said was fair and well written, esp. that part about trolls being the alchemy-ed outcome of "dead boredom and intoxicating anonymity."

I think one issue here, though, is that people at the site may not agree on what makes the website have high quality...is it the interesting music posts, interesting people, the debates, the friendships?

I am sorry to see Boo Boo banned, even as I recognize the reasons and that mods try to stand by the rule of no personal insults while still having some leniency. I don't want the people Boo Boo slighted to feel he was able to do so without any repercussion, but I also felt he added to the community here. And, like Crash, I want anyone calling anyone an idiot, etc., to be held to the same standards and have the same number of strike-outs, because then there is more consistency.

But while I support the banning of obvious "trolls" who join to break the rules, I don't like bannings of long-term members...probably because I value the friendships and acquaintances here a lot, and also the relatively high level of free speech. Even if every poster I knew disappeared, I'd still stay for the music comments and information...but I'd miss the people.

So, for me community is probably most important at MB...and in my dream "High Quality" community, no one gets ejected! We just haggle out our conflicts, go to sleep a little angry or indignant, then wake up to a new day together with a chance to try again, day after day after day after day. It's like marriage!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"