Music Banter - View Single Post - It's Country Rock week!
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Default It's Country Rock week!

I have to be honest guys, this is so not my thing it's not even funny. I am always willing to learn though, so hopefully this week will open my eyes and more importantly my ears a little more.

This is what Wiki has to say about the genre in question this week.

"Rock and roll has often been seen as a combination of rhythm and blues with country music, a fusion particularly evident in 1950s rockabilly, and there has been cross-pollination throughout the history of both genres, however, the term country-rock is generally used to refer to the wave of rock musicians of the late 1960s and early 1970s who began to record rock records using country themes, vocal styles and additional instrumentation, most characteristically pedal steel guitar."

Country rock was a particularly popular style in the California music scene of the late 1960s, and was adopted by bands including Hearts and Flowers, Poco (formed by Richie Furay, formerly of the Buffalo Springfield) and New Riders of the Purple Sage. Out of the midwest was Pure Prairie League, formed in 1969 by Craig Fuller.Some folk-rockers followed the Byrds into the genre, among them the Beau Brummels and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. A number of performers also enjoyed a renaissance by adopting country sounds, including: the Everly Brothers, whose Roots album (1968) is usually considered some of their finest work; former teen idol Rick Nelson who became the frontman for the Stone Canyon Band; John Fogerty left Creedence Clearwater Revival behind for the country sounds of The Blue Ridge Rangers; Mike Nesmith who formed the First National Band after this departure from the Monkees; and Neil Young who moved in and out of the genre throughout his career. One of the few acts to successfully move from the country side towards rock were the bluegrass band The Dillards.

The greatest commercial success for country rock came in the 1970s, with the Doobie Brothers mixing in elements of R&B, Emmylou Harris (a former backing singer for Parsons) becoming the "Queen of country-rock" and Linda Ronstadt creating a highly successful pop-oriented brand of the genre. Pure Prairie League had a run of 5 straight Top 40 LP releases.Former members of Ronstadt's backing band went on to form the Eagles (made up of members of the Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco and Stone Canyon Band), who emerged as one of the most successful rock acts of all time, producing albums that included Desperado (1973) and Hotel California (1976).

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote