Music Banter - View Single Post - The Explain Why You Like This Album ('cause i don't understand) Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #815 (permalink)
ImmortalDiotima
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
Ha - that's funny. Or like ironic at least. How do you figure that Araya is "pretending" any more than Varg (doesn't that mean 'wolf' in some language? What a fake)?
I wager that Araya has a deeper understanding of his own background and religion than wolfman does. Exploration of darkness is the essence of Catholicism - especially for American Hispanic Catholics. Perhaps Varg needs to experience life outside of the liberal 80s Scandinavian politics that spawned the region's fairly ridiculous 90s black metal scene and a posh jail cell before he can ponder what the meaning of 'extreme' is, eh?

If you're just asking why Slayer is a good metal band then here is my response:
Araya screamed with more hardcore punk finesse than any of the other 'big ones', Lombardo played better drums than pretty much everybody since the Jazz greats, and King played ingeniously unintuitive, nonsensical guitar solos that stir the soul more than any xenophobic Norwegian asshole ever has. If you like Wolfie but hate Araya, and this bias reflects in your metal taste, then I doubt you're much of a music fan.
I have never experienced "logic" such as yours before...
First of all, nicknames are pervasive through the musical world and I'd argue that merely giving yourself a nickname (especially one that is in line with the lifestyle and ancestral religion of the people of the country in which you were raised) is not faking as much as telling millions of people in your songs that Satan is your master when you are Catholic.
Second, before you criticize Varg Vikernes based on the Norwegian penal system (it's not HIS fault the jails there are more lenient and, conveniently, more EFFECTIVE than our "brand them and throw them in the trash to rot" system) perhaps you should consider how he got there in the first place. I'd say that BURNING DOWN CHURCHES and STABBING YOUR FRIEND IN THE FOREHEAD WITH A KNIFE are levels of "extreme" that would make a god-fearing Catholic such as Araya piss in his pants just to watch.

I am no longer asking why Slayer is a good metal band. If you had taken the time to read the conversation you would have noticed that I agree that Slayer is an incredible instrumental metal band and that I simply do not like Tom Araya's vocal style (and that I'm perturbed by the subject matter, considering)
ImmortalDiotima is offline   Reply With Quote