Music Banter - View Single Post - Flute / Guitar Duet
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
rondo
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
(This has been my "music psychoanalysis" of myself. What role does music play in your life?)
Now that you've asked, I've never given that an honest thought . I'll get back to that later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Here's a flute piece by Gaubert that I like because I feel it is sweetly sad. The song feels like the fragility and beauty of a child's life to me. Wikipedia says, "As a composer, Gaubert was by no means an innovator, but his work benefited from the examples of Franck, Ravel and Debussy." I guess I'd agree with that, since I hear a Debussy quality. You might like it because it has an impressionistic feeling...I assume this, at least, based on the paintings chosen by someone for the video!

Gaubert - Music for Flute and Piano

It's a bit more tonal than I thought. I liked the simplicity of this piece: Music for piano & flute - pretty much self-explanatory! Never heard the name before though. Actually speaking, my preferences still lean towards melodious ((?) forgive my lack of music vocabulary) compositions of the Baroque/Classical/Romantic era.

Bach for example, always has an answer for anything with regards to classical music . His 'Partita' is entirely dedicated to the flute, and has the typical Baroque flavor which I thought you might like . (I've never thought of Bach as an inventor - but more so, the best representation of his era).

YouTube - J. S. Bach - Partita (sonata) For Solo Flute in A Minor BWV 1013 - IV Bourrée angalise

His 'Musical Offering' (BWV1079) has some wondrous flute passages as well (although I'm not able to pinpoint at this moment).

Anyways, with regards to this thread, here's a more modern composition, which does in fact, feature a guitar & flute (if the original poster ever gets around to listening ) -

'Toward the Sea' by Toru Takemitsu.

YouTube - Toward the Sea 1.night

It's composed of three movements - and this is the first.