Music Banter - View Single Post - One Very Important Thought: Dayvan Cowboy's Confessions As A BOC Nut
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #31 (permalink)
Dayvan Cowboy
Basscadet

^ yeah, they sadden me greatly...
and here we are folks, with my latest post, inspired (aka ripoff) by Urban Hatemonger's journal post!

Music From My Past

Okay, I wasn't always an IDM junkie or an Avant-Garde fan. In fact, I was totally different. Here, I will show you my musical past.

It all starts when I was five. I admit that I was a strange child when I was five, because instead of watching Caillou or Blues Clues, I thrived on Bill Nye and the space documentaries on The Discovery Channel. I was obsessed with science, and I wanted to be an astronaut. I remember sitting hours on end listening to old prog albums and reading a giant book on black holes and neutron stars, while eating cheerios with a giant smile on my face. sure, I was a hyper, violent child,(The ADHD pills fixed that) but I would still have the patience to get through a Yes album, and I loved it. My favourite album when I was little was Pink Floyd's Animals. Sheep was my favourite off of the album, and I would listen to it every day, sitting in my Pink Floyd T-shirt, and reading a 6th grade science textbook.

Okay, this is where it gets embarrassing. I started liking happy hardcore music after I found my cousin's happy hardcore compilation CD when I was six. I liked happy, syrupy, overtly cheery dance music. I'd rather not talk about this period of my life because I was pretty lame.

This is the period of my life where I gave up on silly, rave-a-thon music and sat down with mum and started watching MuchMusic. One song in particular caught my attention, and it was by Outkast, called Hey Ya!. I started liking all of the 90's grunge music mommy liked, (my mom is stuck in the 90's, just in case if you were wondering) I started listening to a lot of the pop music that was on MuchMusic and enjoyed a lot of whatever garage rock mom listened to. Whenever I hear that Outkast song, I remember back to my days as a cheery seven year old dancing to the latest R'n'B tune that caught my ears.

Seuss mentioned this song one day, and I nearly had a nostalgic heart attack. When I was eight, my musical tastes revolved around Tegan And Sara and Hot Hot Heat. I was in love with Indie Pop acts. I was like this from age eight to age eleven, and those were the happiest years of my life, back when I would sing "Bandages" into a hairbrush in my room, and constantly have the chorus to "Walking With A Ghost" stuck in my head. I admit, even after three years, I still listen to Tegan And Sara, because they mean quite a bit to me

Dayvan Cowboy. The song that changed my life, and mangled my little fifth-grade brain. I remember randomly surfing youtube one day, and hearing this song in the background of some video. I immediately searched up the song and I was absolutely shocked. I had never heard instrumental music before, and that's what I was searching for the entire time. I really loathed electronic music before this, and suddenly, my world was turned upside down. I started getting into Aphex and Amon Tobin and my musical world was changed, all thanks to some random youtube video.
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote