Music Banter - View Single Post - Pick a Classic, Rank its Covers
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 04:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Okay, since I cheated in my previous post, I will write a whole new one here!

ORIGINAL: "Material Girl" by Madonna - I always liked this song when I was little because she was so brazenly confident about herself and her allure, and I secretly longed to be that popular, even as I pooh-poohed such base desires. Now I like the song because it opposes materialism...but lets you get to enjoy it at the same time! Here is Madonna singing "Material Girl" with some friends in 2008:

COVER 1st Place: Someone doing a metal version of "Material Girl."
I don't know who did the "singing," but I gave this cover my top rank for the humor factor. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it wasn't this! I really can't get through this video without laughing, so that biased me in its favor:

COVER 2nd Place: Hilarie and Haylie Duff singing "Material Girl."
I thought they did a nice job singing the song...it sounds light and airy...and they are just so darn cute! The updated beat modernizes the song nicely for today's teens:

COVER 3rd Place: Heller singing "Material Girl."
I didn't care for this harder rock version so much, partly because the video made me feel Heller is mostly singing it to look sexy and misses some of the irony of the song. Still, she sings it well...once you get past the beginning car scene and her squeaky voice.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 09-15-2010 at 04:58 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote