Music Banter - View Single Post - Lady Gaga
Thread: Lady Gaga
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #1669 (permalink)
Consolator
¬¬!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Every two bit female pop star bangs on about Gay rights or Feminism at some point. That doesn't make her music any more art worthy or controversial.
I mean bands like Coldplay speak out about safe issues like that kind of thing all the time. It doesn't make their music any more interesting that the turgid safe slush that it already is.

And let's face it, outlandish fashion sense, disco friendly pop tunes. the woman has stereotypical gay icon written all over her. Would it really be any kind of shock to anybody that she supports gay right?
That would be like me putting on a Primal Scream or Hawkwind album on and suddenly being shocked and outraged that they contain drug references.

So wearing an outfit made of meat is a statement that can be taken 'with many different interpretations'
Does that sound like someone with convictions ? That's an awfully vague description. That just sounds like someone who's gone out to get as much attention as humanly possible at one of the most widely seen televisual events of the year and then fumbled up some feeble excuse when asked to expand on it.

Why shouldn't I ?
Art is whatever you want it to be. I just think for all the plaudits she gets what I see coming out from her is remarkably hollow & basic.
Hell it's not even original, making pop songs to appeal to the slightly older pop demographic while wearing elaborate clothes, hell Alison Goldfrapp was doing that around a decade ago.

I think I've made plenty of valid points, even if you think I'm not I don't really see how you can say I'm being juvenile. I've explained what I don't like about her and why. I don't take issue with anyone liking her music or being a fan. I just don't see how anyone can dress this stuff up & claim it's anything more 'higher art' than say your average pop singer, which is basically all she is albeit with a rather large outlandish wardrobe.
You're right that most pop stars bring up gay rights at some point, but not nearly to the point that Gaga does. I mean, just look at her website right now. You get re-directed to a plea to visit the Repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell whatever website. If you actually go to her website, it's more gay rights stuff. Her recent tweets and facebook updates have been purely about repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell. She brought the discharged soldiers to the VMA's with her and thanked them in her award speech. Please name a recent pop star that has used her fame to advance the cause to this degree.

Why is it so strange that something can have many different interpretations? Do you expect her to ramble off a list of things it symbolizes at command? The whole meat on your bones comment was awkwardly worded, yes, but is that not a reasonable interpretation to you? In essence, she's right. If we don't take part in our government, we will likely get the short ends of the sticks. Do you disagree with her claim? If not, I frankly don't see why you're criticizing her for it.

Also, I never said Gaga was original. Ever. If I have, please show me where and I will gladly edit it. Most of what (if not all) she's done can either be traced back to Madonna or Grace Jones. It's one of the problems I have with Lady Gaga. The only song of hers that has really impressed me in terms of being original is her song "Teeth," but even then, there may be some song just like it out there. I don't know. If there is I haven't heard it. It isn't like the stuff what is on the radio these days. It has a jazzy sound to it. I especially agree about your Goldfrapp comment. Goldfrapp is a delight. But, I digress, this is not the Goldfrapp thread.

You may think her messages are hollow and basic, but I can attest that there are many who do not. This thread is evident of that. Hollow and basic is subjective and means different things to different people.

Last edited by Consolator; 09-16-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Consolator is offline   Reply With Quote