Music Banter - View Single Post - The songs that matter.
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

IRON MAIDEN

I have mentioned the story behind this before, so apologies for any deja vu for older members and for that I will make a much more condensed post.

1986. My parents split in the summer of this year. I was 14. That's a hard enough time as it is without them arguing etc but solace was found by really finding music which gave me an identity.

To cut a long story short the guy who introduced me to this band is still my best friend after 24 years (we met up last week for a gig) even though we live in different countries now. Rarely has a sense of belonging (no matter how small or insignificant to others) been attributed to a piece of music and said piece of music STILL raises the hairs on the back of my neck today.

Iron Maiden are not everyone's cup of tea and Heavy Metal is not to everyone's tastes either which I am completely understandable about but for a piece of music to still be eminently listenable after listening to literally thousands of bands since and enjoyed by us both is no mean feat.

This track was the catalyst for me and it's why I'm a mod now and why I still listen to music and love it. That first solo still gets me every time and is a first stop for when things ever get too much for me.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote