Music Banter - View Single Post - Pick a Classic, Rank its Covers
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
Hank The Drifter
Take it easy, but take it

I'll do a song that I know has been covered many, many times. I know I know, another post made by me related to Hank Williams, sorry. heh. I kinda obsess over covers of his songs, and this is one of his most covered songs.

Original by Hank Williams

This lonesome song basically defines heartbreak and lonesomeness. If you are a Country music fan, you've no doubt heard this song, and this song has been covered by so many and throughout so many genres many many non-country fans have had the chance to hear it. Anyway, this song just captures feelings you've never known were there before. If you're feeling down this song can almost pick you up out of it because you realize you're not nearly as down as ol' Hank seemed to be when he recorded this.

First Place cover: By Johnny Cash and Nick Cave

I think this version of the song worked it so well because Cash done a very good job at capturing the overall mood of the song. He had that very rough sounding voice in his later years and put such a depressive spin on everything. I suppose he was a fairly depressed man at this particular point in his life though. Also, Nick Cave does a very good job with the backup vocals in my opinion.

Second place cover by Dax Riggs

Alright, maybe this isn't fair but its too good not to include and honestly what of the best versions of the song I've heard. Its live and the only recording I can find of Dax doing this, sadly. He does a damn good job with this cover and I highly recommend it.

Weird and cool versions of this song,
By The Residents

Well, you can't expect anything but weird out of The Residents, but that's certainly not a bad thing. This is them mixing up a bunch of old Folk songs to make I'm so Lonesome I Could Cry. Wow, this is different but very cool. This has such an eerie atmosphere that its super depressive and once again catches the overall mood of the song.

Sorry for the kinda hurried writing guys. I'll write something else for this thread at a later time.