Music Banter - View Single Post - My Musical Opinion
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
Exeggcute :3
Music Addict

So overall, a mini review.

The Streets - The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living

Having spent a week with this album I'm starting to get to know it quite well now, there are a few elements that I want to talk about.

The Message

None of these songs can I really relate too, I've never had a heavy involvement in drugs, fame or a crazy party lifestyle. I like to describe myself as easy, the middle road is definitely the best way, too much of anything, being too obsessed or not caring enough about something is rarely a good thing. Anyway, that's quite a long way off the point, my point is that I try not to have too heavy involvement in that sort of thing, without being a social recluse. I think I balance it rather well.

I can understand what he is trying to say in some of them, and I think he may have some touching points in some songs and some very down to earth points in others. War of the Sexes is a particularly interesting song in terms of message, I think. Anyway, I think some of the songs really aren't saying anything important or meaningful, and some I "just don't get at all." So not an amazing album in terms of message, definitely nothing compared to "A Grand Don't Come for Free."

Musically

I think musically the album has a lot more to say. Skinner is especially good at making up catchy lyrical lines, as are observed in Pranging Out, The Hardest Way To Make An Easy Living, Memento Mori, Never Went to Church, ... the list goes on. I can sing along to those all day.

Also, his fairly unique talky, conversationally rappy style is quite endearing and adds a lot to quite a lot of songs.

Conclusion

Really quite enjoyed this album, but some songs leave a sour taste in the mouth with the message, and others are just a bit too hard to get in to. Definitely decent, but not as good what I had hoped. I'd give it 6.5/10.