Music Banter - View Single Post - what are good drum brands?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 01:54 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Piccolo isn't a brand. It's a type of snare drum. They're typically very shallow and are very high-pitched and tight. I use one, but only as an effect snare, or second snare, depending on the application. Generally, you'll only want a piccolo if you like a really high, tight, snappy/cracky snare.

Anyway, here is a VERY GENERAL and non-objective perspective on those kits:

Mapex, Pulse, Sound Percussion = Crap.

Yamaha = Ok/good.. depends on the kit.

Gretch = Ok/Good. Also depends on the kit.

Tama = Good/Great. Depends on kit.

Pearl, Ludwig = Best of the bunch on average. Also the most expensive, but the higher end Tamas might be just as pricey.

Pork Pie = I have no idea. I heard one of their snares before.. but other than that, I can't tell you.

Zildjian is a great cymbal maker, but you're going to pay out the ass. If you're not too concerned with specifics, you can work the Sabian line for a lot less without sacrificing too much quality. But Sabian make their cymbals entirely different, so you should go to a music shop and check out the differences in person.

Any kick pedal will fit on any kick drum. It's a matter of clamping it down on the bottom rim of the kick drum, and all kick pedals have adjustable clamps. Your concern should be playability with the kick pedal. Try them out in a music shop, and get someone to show you how to adjust the tension on it. You want a pedal that allows you enough resistance without taxing your legs, and also without having too little resistance, because you won't get any kind of impact out of it. It should be smooth and responsive.

As far as the hi-hat stand is concerned, I've found the 2-leg stands to be the best, especially if you're considering upgrading to a double-kick pedal... because you'll be able to maneuver the hihat pedal in such a way as to allow the left kick pedal to fit perfectly without obstruction. But if you don't plan on upgrading, just get something that's sturdy. As for the snare stand, you can't really go wrong with that. As long as it's sturdy and holds your snare drum, you're good. Might want to make sure it accommodates the angles you need as well.

For a lot of this stuff, it's a very good idea to first look online and read reviews, like you did. User reviews at instrument websites like musiciansfriend is a good tool to help you weed out the crap and find the best for your money. Reviews are your friend.

Oh, and lastly... as far as your question about buying different brands of drum shells and all.. you're far better off sticking with a single brand. If you actually need me to explain why, then I will... but if possible, just take my word for it.
Most of what you said is correct but Iv played some killer Mapex Sets. I think there lower end is certainly crap, maybe even more crap than other brands lower end gear.

Also try out Paiste. Amazing sound. Granted one should base much off brand, only off the pleasing sound it may give. Granted personally if a bunch of records I love were recorded on a Pearl Export I would definitely take that under heavy consideration.

Ps. Try possibly looking at a Pearl Forum. A version on there masters and export series geared towards beginners.
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote