Music Banter - View Single Post - Pick a Classic, Rank its Covers
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #22 (permalink)
dankrsta

I Heard It Through the Grapevine

This song has quite an interesting early history. It is probably the most famous Motown Records song and most people know it as a Marvin Gaye song (including me before this research). It was written in 1966. by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong and was recorded first by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, although went unreleased at the time. The next two versions were both recorded in 1967. a few months apart from each other. Marvin Gaye song was recorded first, but Gladys Knight & the Pips version was released first in 1967. and went to become a big hit. Marvin Gaye's song was added to his 1968 album In the Groove and after its success, 'I Heard It Through the Grapevine' was finally released as his single and became an even bigger hit then the Gladys Knight version and one of the biggest Motown hit singles.

Now, I won't rank these first three versions, but will rather pick a classic. All three songs are very good for different reasons, be it an r&b cool flow of The Miracles version or Gladys Knight's strong, almost gospel feel, but my favorite is by far Marvin Gaye's song. He added a certain melancholy and sadness that give those lyrics even more layers. His song is undeniably the classic, as it is the version that is covered the most.

5. The Temptations (1969)

The Temptations were one of the first acts to record their own version in 1969. after Marvin Gaye made a huge hit out of it. This one is more in that soul line of Gladys Knight & the Pips version and since I like that one a lot more, The Temptations take 5th place.

4. Roger Troutman (1981)

Roger Troutman, singer of the funk band Zapp made this extremely catchy, dance version for his solo album The Many Facets of Roger in 1981. This song was a big hit in the 80s and another 'I Heard It Through the Grapevine' version that managed to top the charts. And I can just see why

3. The Slits (1979)

Well, everybody on this forum knows The Slits, I hope, a famous female punk/post-punk band. Their highly energetic cover is on the 1979. album Cut and it almost made it to the second place on this list. Actually, I'll consider it a tie with the 2nd place. With heavy bass opening, funky groove and African rhythms it still manages to retain that punk feel, which makes it a great post-punk cover of a soul classic.

2. Creedence Clearwater Revival (1970)

This is maybe the most famous 'I Heard It Through the Grapevine' cover and the one I heard first, even before Marvin Gaye. That is one of the reasons it's in the second place, as this is the band I used to listen a lot when I was in my classic rock phase. Beside nostalgic reasons, this is a ****ing great song, especially the 11min. album version from Cosmo's Factory (1970)

1. Tuxedomoon (1977 - 1983)

This cover appears on the compilation of band's rare songs from 1977 - 1983., Pinheads on the Move (1987). So why is this bizarre, iconoclastic version in the first place? Tuxedomoon took a classic, transformed it and totally made it their own. We can still recognize the song just fine as it retains the same lyrics, although delivered with a lot of humor and hinting on a gay relationship. But beneath this seeming bizarre playfulness there is a constant intense whirlpool of contrasting sounds that give us a feel of madness and desperation that's going on in the mind of a lover when he finds out he's been cheated and is not loved anymore. So, in some strange way this cover actually complement that pain which can be sensed in Marvin Gaye song. And, of course, I'm incurably biased towards Tuxedomoon.