Music Banter - View Single Post - Listening to albums in their entirety...
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I think it depends on the album. Though I am overall an "album" kind of person, there's a lot of music out there that was never particularly intended to be digested in album form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
I don't have a single song in my music collection. Everything is in album format. I do prefer to listen to whole albums as opposed to individual songs or select groups of songs, but there are definite exceptions to this.

One thing that I point out frequently on this forum is that the full length album format, or LP is only about 50 years old, less than half the span of time of recorded music history. it wasn't until about the early 70's that artists began creating music with the holistic intention of it being appreciated as not only a collection of individual songs, but also as a greater more inclusive work.

Basically there are albums that are strictly a collection of individual songs an albums that can only be appreciated in the wider sense of a musical suite.
... Yeah. All of this. You guys got to it before I could

Personally, it wasn't until I began to digest albums in their entirety that I began to actually become passionate about it. Beforehand, it had simply been 'play a few Floyd and Led Zeppelin songs while you play Runescape' or something, but once I actually got around to investing time and thought into the music, was around when it started to give back to me too. That sort of coincided with when I started torrenting in place of Limewire-ing, so that I could get full albums more easily. So I owe A LOT to torrenting.

There are some exceptions (with power violence for example, I generally listen to it in snippets), but in general, I've been an album person for basically my entire 'music-listening' life.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote