Music Banter - View Single Post - ...In which I post reviews of albums I have acquired.
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I`d agree that there are some differences between the bands, in that Phish from what I`ve heard have a sound rooted in jazz whereas Grateful Dead have a sound more rooted in folk. Also Phish seem to draw from more diverse genres of music too.

The similiarities I think are built around the the following that the groups have and that Phish are the Grateful Dead of current times. My knowledge of the Grateful Dead is far more knowledgeble than that of Phish, and your current attention of Phish on this forum has kind of re-awakened my interest in them, as I never really got properly into them before.

I have a band on the tip of my tongue that are similiar to Phish but the name escapes me.
That is very true. I'd like to think of them more as being the "defining jam band" of this generation than the "new Grateful Dead", though. I just feel like they're too musically different. Other jam bands don't get nearly the amount of Grateful Dead comparisons that Phish get, even the ones that are a bit more similar musically.

I still really love The Grateful Dead. They were an amazing band, to be sure. Just different - like, I'd not be likely to put a Grateful Dead track on a CD next to a Phish track because they really just wouldn't mesh.

And as for the band you may be thinking of: I've heard a lot of comparisons with Widespread Panic, The String Cheese Incident, and moe. to Phish - is one of those the one you were thinking of?
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote