Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #2921 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I just read the description on amazon and you're right, it does sound like something I'd like. What about it made you think of me?
Nothing. I thought about you and books and thought of it.

Long story short, I think it takes something as horseblind as religion and gives it a new vision. In a blurb, this is what the Bible would read like if religion had fan fiction. Its just a mind-**** of a reality shakeup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
I think everybody who has learned about Jefferson beyond high school-level reading knows that. I can't think of any founder who isn't at least a little bit, really.

If you like Gordon Wood and Revolutionary stuff (or care somewhat?) then you might also like The Radicalism of the American Revolution
Well no. If you're a liberal **** who thinks anyone who doesn't measure up to modern day moral standards, then I wasn't talking to those people. What I mean is, for those of us who can say "alright well Slavery was an abhorrent institution, but we can't reasonably hold the candle of 21st century morality to a guy living in the 1700's" then this book shows Jefferson as something of a douche.

Not because of things we think are unacceptable today, but because he abandoned Reason in the final stages of his life because his shot-sighted flaws from the jump fell through.

I'll grant you that I didn't spell out why I thought he was a douche. But if you're going to go ape-wild on people then for what we do now, you're going to blind yourself to quite a few historical positions.