Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #4442 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvan Cowboy View Post
IT NEEDS MOAR VOCAL EFFECTS. GET THE MAN A GUITAR PEDAL FOR HIS VOICE.

If I can get through a Sunn O))) album and understand what's going on and what they're aiming for, It's not over my head.
If you just said that because you get Sun O))) and dislike NMH, I'd say that doesn't add up. Sun O))) is completely different than NMH on almost every artistic level. They're beyond comparison. Understanding the more drawn-out, droning of the two doesn't inherit understanding of the other, as NMH's music is complex in its own set of ways, regardless of how poppy it is on the surface.

I mean this not as an attack on you, but you said yourself in another thread that you have a natural bias towards pop music:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvan Cowboy View Post
the worst part is, you just described me perfectly.
via http://www.musicbanter.com/general-m...rtists-25.html

NMH do play basically a poppy brand of folk, injected with uncomfortable amounts of personal lyrics and an unsettling yet personal voice. It's only natural that if you think pop is a poor medium through which to express emotions/music, that you'd dislike it. I don't exactly understand what somebody else telling you it's experimental would do to your opinion; If somebody told me "Bro check out Neutral Milk Hotel it's this avant-garde jazz band" I would say "Okay" and then if/when I did, and realized that they weren't, I'd say... "That guy knew nothing about what he was talking about... But I quite like it for what it is."
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote