Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #4446 (permalink)
debaserr
eat the masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
You know Cowboy Dayvan's comment made me break out the album, which I've had for over a year now. It really does stand out as a unique album in that scene at that time period. It has some incredibly surreal lyrics, in which songs contain lyrics about semen being somewhere it shouldn't ("the mountain tops" & "a garden" respectfully). The inclusion of a trumpet for this kind of indie rock album was something I hadn't heard before. Not only that, the vocalist really has a bad voice, but you can hear him trying and that's kind of nice. However his voice also really lends to the songs adding a whole other instrument. I don't usually gush about stuff from this genre, but this is one of those albums that's popular for a reason, it's damn good.
i'd say the quality of his voice is quite subjective. i hadn't heard any vocals close to that when i heard the album initially(i was 12 or 13). they add a visceral rawness to the album. and i agree the instrumentation is great. i'd say it's the biggest reason next to his voice that makes me like them. personally, the pinnacle for the album is when the horns kick in on "oh, comely".