Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #4450 (permalink)
Nine Black Poppies
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvan Cowboy View Post
NMH: JEEEEESUS CHRIIIIST IIAAA LUV YOOOOOOOOOOOU!
Me: What?
I agree with pretty much everything clutnuckle said about the comparison to Sunn O))) being pretty unapt, but just to add--almost everyone I've ever talked to who doesn't like that album mentions THAT ONE LINE at some point in their explanation and it's kind of a pet peeve of mine.

If you don't like it, that's fine, you can like or not like whatever you want. But it's an incredibly dense record, lyrically. Being dismissive on the basis of one line that isn't obvious in its intent (my interpretation of that has been that that part of the song seems to be more about a sense of change and rebirth using religious ecstasy as a metaphor, but it's really impressionistic and probably supports a few different interpretations) seems like not trying to understand it for what it is.

As for Jeff's voice, I would suggest one tries singing along with some of those songs, sustaining some of those notes or moving through verses as quickly as he does, cos it's not easy. He's definitely got an unusual tonal quality to his voice, but he also knows how to use it really well.