Music Banter - View Single Post - Pitchfork
Thread: Pitchfork
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 01:34 AM   #161 (permalink)
Nine Black Poppies
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Pitchfork is the Lisa Lamponelli of Music Reviews; bloated, crass, and always striving for shocking
Half a decade or more ago, I'd agree with that, but their writing has vastly improved in the past few years. It's still stylized somewhat and obviously they're appealing to a particular crowd, but the reviews have gotten a lot more relevant and some of the articles are actually really interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
Anyway, the animosity pitchfork has been getting has become way more annoying then hipsters who model their taste after pitchfork's ratings and lists.
That's the thing... for all the talk I hear about people like that, I don't think I've ever actually met one. Anyone I've ever come across who's even given a s--t about the subject has said something more along the lines of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
The site's my homepage, because like Marijan said, it talks about the music I like. I don't really take their reviews that seriously though, considering I'm a huge Saddle Creek/Team Love fan and any artists related to those labels typically is lambasted in their reviews for whatever fickle reason they can use to justify their bias. I do think they're a good source of music news though and on what's being released.
Which is why Pitchfork hate (actually a lot of "hipster" hate in general) kind of strikes me as the worst sort of elitism: the presumption of some kind of automaton, trend-slave culture spoken as though the speaker were above it all. That's sort of the thing about culture--it's inevitable, we're all part of it, it just manifests differently for different people.

I dunno. I'm not accusing anyone of that (at least not anyone here--I can think of some people I know in the so-called real world)--just musing aloud (or in text, I suppose).