Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 01:44 AM   #4451 (permalink)
sleepy jack
isfckingdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Black Poppies View Post
As for Jeff's voice, I would suggest one tries singing along with some of those songs, sustaining some of those notes or moving through verses as quickly as he does, cos it's not easy. He's definitely got an unusual tonal quality to his voice, but he also knows how to use it really well.
To add to this, how many people have heard other musicians covering Neutral Milk Hotel? Most of the time it's god awful. I can think of one or two covers that are okay (one is by Sherri Dupree of Eisley, the other by Jesse Lacey of Brand New - both of Two Headed Boy pt. 2 interestingly enough.) However, those are only okay because they're better then any NMH covers I've heard. I mean, I've heard probably a good dozen or more attempts at people covering Neutral Milk Hotel and it always falls flat. When I really examine it, I can't find a flaw in the cover it's just the absence of Jeff's voice that ruins it. I was totally in love with him when I first heard him sing, and anyone trying to take that place just sounds like a cheap, bad imitation at best and a total joke/raper-of-genius at worst.
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote