Music Banter - View Single Post - Church Plans on Burning Qur'an on September 11th
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 06:11 PM   #144 (permalink)
Zaqarbal
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
Incorrect. Monty Python's Life of Brian was slaughtered by the church and condemned as heresy by it's supporters on it's release.
It was almost banned and caused a right old shit storm.
But the film started to break taboos, and later on The Meaning of Life was very successful. Anyway, that was much less dangerous than Theo van Gogh's life as a film director.

Quote:
I doubt anyone would even raise an eyebrow if it was released these days.
I think there would be some protests (probably not very loud indeed) about Life of Brian, but, what about an hypothetical Life of Muhammad?

Quote:
Unless of course it provoked radical extremist terrorists hell bent on murder. Then it would be an absolutely stupid idea, totally lacking in common sense, provoking religious hatred and incitement to violence to even suggest making such a film. Especially if the film makers were aware of the ensuing carnage prior to filming...if you get my drift.
I think the mere existence of those terrorists is the problem itself. They don't need any new "excuse" to show their criminal intentions. They will try to kill you anyway. With or without the excuse of a "provocation". A pyromaniac christo-freak show or a simple Danish cartoon published 11 months before are nothing but a cover. My opinion is that a mafia (Al Capone or Al Qaeda) should not determine our life, our moral convictions or our laws. I think that if you're suffering a continous threat from a Hitler, a Stalin or a Bin Laden, your priority should be fight that enemy in order to safeguard your freedom (the same freedom that makes possible an intelligent satire, for example).

Quote:
The only ones who get too serious, sometimes even aggressive and frequently lose their temper, are people like the pastor of which this thread is about.
And funnily his name is Terry Jones, like Life of Brian's director. It seems to be that Jones is nothing but an insignificant moron, but since some silly journalists have blown this affair out of proportion, he have had his stupid "minutes of fame".

Quote:
Then again, some people don't possess the common sense they were born with...if you get my drift.
Yes, but that should be their problem, not ours. We cannot establish our rules of coexistence according to the threats from those who don't want to obey them. Moreover, each country has its own legal and social rules, and its citizens can't change them just because some fanatics in a remote place of the globe are furious. Especially considering the very different mentality they have. There are some basic common standards amongst Western countries for cultural reasons and because our modern societies are similar. But theocratic islamists in Afghanistan or Iran think in a very different way. Regarding social view of religious matters, that's "another world".