Music Banter - View Single Post - Socially conscious music
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
misterseth
Groupie

Default Socially conscious music

Hello everybody,

I've come on this forum to introduce you all to the concept of socially conscious music. Wikipedia suggests that social consciousness can "be defined as social awareness; to be aware of the problems that different societies and communities face on a day-to-day basis; to be conscious of the difficulties and hardships of society."

Most music is already socially conscious provided it wasn't created with the sole purpose of promoting oneself or for commercial gain. What is unusual is making social consciousness the primary focus.

I'm launching a project in the spring under the name Fold that aims to raise awareness towards positive change and will invest all profits from album sales into charitable causes. The project consists of a 10 track album due to be completed by the end of the year.

The music itself explores the natural, unintentional rhythms of human speech by carefully weaving the voices of people like Kurt Vonnegut, Martin Luther King Jr, Robert Kennedy, Nina Simone, Jimmy Carter and John Lennon into down-tempo beds. The intention is to speak loudly, clearly and directly about many issues that we often hide from ourselves using these familiar and often moving voices.

I am funding, writing, performing, producing, acquiring sample clearances, promoting, designing web & print materials, etc all through my own efforts with a bit of help from close friends.

I believe that achieving real change in the world is only possible if people can be encouraged to take responsibility for their actions as well as their emotions. That's all I'm trying to do myself. This is my way of giving something back to the community.

What do you think? Is this an idea that any of you would support? Please let me know.

Thanks for listening,
Seth Mowshowitz
misterseth is offline   Reply With Quote