Music Banter - View Single Post - The Ultimate Compilation I
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
someonecompletelyrandom
Account Disabled

Default The Ultimate Compilation I

EPISODE I: POPULAR MUSIC

The most ambitious musical project of all time.

About

The Ultimate Compliation project, or TUC, as I suggest all of you call it (you'll need to save some time since you'll be gawking at it's sheer enormity for quite a bit), aims to live up to it's title and create the ultimate musical compilation. Just as a compilation for the genre of Jazz may contain the most defining songs of the style, this comp aims to define music itself. To cut to the chase - a song in every genre and sub-genre within reasonable imagination. We'll be starting with Popular Music. To be followed by Art Music, and finally, Traditional Music. Definitions for these distinct aspects of music can be found here. Of course, they will likely overlap with each other - but it's not the intention of the project to split hairs and get into tedious debates about what classifies what (that's what the rest of MB is for).

This is something for the whole community to get involved with. Everyone on MB is encouraged to help construct this behemoth. To participate, look at the list of genres and sub genres below. Know a good song from that style? Post it! You're also encouraged to do some research on the genres you've never heard of and report back to us with your findings. Check below for the official submission proceedure:

How to Submit
  • Post a song with relevent information (i.e. artist & title) along with what genre in the list in belongs to.
  • The genre you've marked that song as being will be bolded, indicating that the genre has been covered.
  • Please only submit ONE song per style. If all the styles you'd like to cover have been taken already, consider doing some research on the genres you've not heard of.
  • Write-ups are welcomed but not a requirement.
  • When submitting something, be sure that you are marking it's genre correctly and that you have chosen that song because you believe it properly defines that style.
  • When submitting a song to define a main genre, and not a sub-genre (i.e. when submitting a song to cover "Rock" instead "Hair Metal"), it has to be seconded by another member as truly defining that style. After all, a lot of genres are umbrella terms and need songs that nicely capture the original intent and spirit of their origins.
  • If anyone feels that a song does not belong in the genre it's ascribed (and this shouldn't be based on personal preference), bring it everyone's attention and get somebody to second you on it. The genre will be unmarked and free to define again. ATTENTION: please use the discussion thread for discussing what songs should represent what genres.
  • Please DO NOT PM me or anybody else your submissions. YouTube videos or mp3 links work just fine. You don't even need to post a YouTube video, in fact. As long as I can find the song later when I'm collecting them all for the comp, all you need to post is the artist and title. I'll collect all the songs later when the comp is being assembled. Videos are great to give people an idea of why you chose that artist though.
  • Submit songs in as many categories as you like and have fun!

Afropop

Sub-Genres

Afrobeat: Fela Kuti - Expensive Sh*t submitted by Conan
Apala: Ayinla Omowura - Agbo ma te'ti l'orin tiwa (an unabridged tape side) submitted by Conan
Benga International De Nelly - "Rose Pambo". submitted by Conan
Bikutsi
Cape Jazz
Chimurenga
Fuji music
Highlife: Ebaahi Soundz - Oshiitℇ submitted by Conan
Hiplife
Isicathamiya
Jit
Jùjú: KING SUNNY ADE - JA FUN MI submitted by jackhammer
Kizomba
Kuduro
Kwaito
Kwela
Makossa
Maloya
Marrabenta
Mbalax
Museve aka Sungura
Mbaqanga
Mbube
Morna
Palm-wine
Raï
Sakara
Salegy
Sega
Soukous aka Congo, Lingala or African rumba
Taarab

Avant-Garde

Karlheinz Stockhausen - Mikrophonie submitted by dankrsta, seconded by bob.

Sub-Genres

Experimental music: John Cage - Music of Changes submitted by dankrsta
Minimalist music: Terry Riley - In C submitted by dankrsta
Drone: La Monte Young (The Theatre Of Eternal Music) - Pre-Tortoise Dream Music submitted by dankrsta
Noise: Merzbow - Woodpecker 1 submitted by dankrsta & bob.
Avant-Prog: Henry Cow - Living in the Heart of the Beast submitted by dankrsta

Country/Americana/Roots Music

Sub-Genres

Alternative country: 16 Horsepower - Black Soul Choir submitted by dankrsta
Americana: Fleet Foxes - Ragged Wood submitted by James
Bluegrass: Bill Monroe - Blue Moon Of Kentucky submitted by Jedey
Progressive bluegrass: Hypocrite Smile by Acoustic Syndicate submitted by ThePhanastasio
Traditional bluegrass
Country pop: Down From Dover - Dolly Parton submitted by bob
Country rock: Supersuckers - The Supersucker Drive By Blues submitted by bob.
Honky tonk: Hank Williams - Lovesick Blues submitted by bob.
Bakersfield Sound: Buck Owens - Tiger By The Tail submitted by Jedey
Nashville sound/Countrypolitan
Neotraditional country
Outlaw country: Waylon Jennings - Shadow of the Gallows submitted by ThePhanastasio
Progressive country
Rockabilly: Johnny Burnette - Train Kept A Rollin' submitted by Jedey
Western: Townes Van Zandt - My Proud Mountains submitted by Conan
Western swing

Jazz

Sub-Genres

Acid jazz: Kyoto Jazz Massive - Substream submitted by jackhammer
Asian American jazz
Avant-garde jazz: Charles Mingus - Solo Dancer submitted by James
Bebop: Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie - Hot House submitted by Jedey
Big band: COUNT BASIE - Swingin' the Blues submitted by +81
Crossover jazz
Dixieland
Calypso jazz
Chamber jazz
Cool jazz: Miles Davis - Boplicity submitted by Jedey
Free jazz Ornette Coleman Sextet - Free Jazz submitted by bob.
Gypsy jazz
Hard bop
Jazz blues
Jazz-funk
Jazz fusion: Bill Cobham / George Duke Band - Panhandler submitted by jackhammer
Jazz rap
Latin jazz
Mainstream jazz
Mini-jazz
Modal jazz: John Coltrane - Impressions submitted by Jedey
M-Base
Nu jazz: Nightmares On Wax - Survival submitted by jackhammer
Smooth jazz: Kenny G - Forever In Love submitted by bob.
Soul jazz: Cannonball Adderley - Mercy, Mercy, Mercy submitted by Jedey
Swing: Benny Goodman Orchestra - Sing Sing Sing submitted by +81 and Mike Nelson of Spooner Wisconsin
Trad jazz
Vocal jazz: Johnny Hartman - Lush Life submitted by Jedey
West Coast jazz: Dave Brubeck - Take Five submitted by Jedey

Last edited by someonecompletelyrandom; 11-22-2010 at 11:34 AM.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote