Music Banter - View Single Post - Church Plans on Burning Qur'an on September 11th
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #153 (permalink)
RVCA
( ̄ー ̄)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
So if the Bible isn't about killing infidels, how do you explain the Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah? God wipes out the entire Earth, with the exception of one family, because their sinners. The Bible also endorses slavery, rape, stoning, incest, and other terrible things. It's not a moral book.
The God of the Old Testament does plenty of awful things, but the difference is, HE'S doing them. He's not advocating us to do them to each other. And yes, it endorses plenty of awful things. However, I'm fairly certain that it doesn't repeatedly propagate outright murder of people who don't share your beliefs quite as adamantly as the Quran does.

Quote:
I don't know why you would blow up something up because you're an athiest. That strikes me as completely illogical. "I'm motivated to do something by a non-belief."
But that's exactly my point. These suicide bombings and acts of religious terrorism wouldn't occur if there wasn't religion.

Quote:
Also, your statement about capitalism is pretty stupid. While yes, no one is strapping a bomb to their chest and blowing up communes, the amount of evils (e.g. wars, sweatshops) done in the name of capitalism, just in the past decade, is just as wrong as 9/11, in fact, I would argue it's even worse.
You stated that religious acts of terrorism aren't based solely on religious motivations. You called it an oversimplification, but I disagree, and I attempted to illustrate that by showing how there are very few (or none at all? I wish Conan would have written more than 'uh') examples of "capitalist terrorism" or "atheist terrorism".

yes, there are other evils committed in the name of other ideals. All of it is part of one big, complex, ugly equation. However, once you remove religion from one side of the equation, you also remove religious terrorism from the other side.
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote