Music Banter - View Single Post - Vaccination/Immunization -- Why is there a problem?
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
WWWP
county fair energy

Another aspect of this is that a lot of people are relying on the idea that they don't need to vaccinate their children because everyone else's children are being vaccinated, thus their children are theoretically protected (there's a term for this that I can't remember for the life of me...herd immunity maybe?) The problem with this is that there are more than just a few people that have this idea, so loads of kids just aren't being vaccinated. Things like this are what lead to things like the recent Whooping Cough outbreak here in California - it's not coincidental.

That being said, I'm definitely not in favor of getting vaccinated for everything, and I do think that a lot of vaccines that have come out (especially in the last five years or so) are purely for making money by feeding off of fear. I refuse to get the H1N1 vaccine and I don't get flu shots. I do understand why people would, but it's my choice not to. I think it's dangerous to get every vaccine that's thrown at you, but it's just as dangerous not to get standard vaccinations for chicken pox, polio, MMR, etc.

I definitely agree with what Ethan said there are good and bad factors on both sides, and in general we have become too sterilized for our own good and we aren't acquiring immunizations naturally. I hope I'm not completely off the point of the thread, but working in Early Childhood Education I hear a lot about this on both sides of the arguments and feel like I have some insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
WWWP is pretty but should be cancelled (digital blackface)

#DEMODFROWNLAND
#TERMLIMITSFORMODERATORS
WWWP is offline   Reply With Quote