Music Banter - View Single Post - Socially conscious music
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 03:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
misterseth
Groupie

mr dave:

I'm putting forward my own emotional response to and interpretation of what's going on in the world – as honestly and directly as I can. I'm not prescribing what others should do but I am trying to live by example. You can go ahead and call me a hippy but I'm concerned about the state of the world that my son will have to live in. I've been around long enough to have something to say about it and I don't hear anybody else saying it. That's my motivation. It is neither entirely altruistic nor entirely selfish – its a bit of both.

Again, just because I'm calling it like I see it doesn't mean I'm telling you what to do. I completely agree, I don't like being preached to.

As I work full time for a charity already and have a 2 year old son I don't have a lot of time to be a musician and a volunteer. This was the best way I could think of combining the two. I'm not profiting financially myself from all this – I'm making sure the money gets used to help people who need it more than I do. In the first year all of the profits (if any) will be invested in Kiva loans until I know how much there is. Then it will go directly to any number of charitable causes. Using many of the same channels of communication and distribution that the music industry does to achieve this is common sense. Getting samples cleared is a legal requirement if I want to reach a larger audience. It is easy to say that I'm just playing the game but forsaking the existing model altogether is only a good idea when you can conceive of a better way to do it. Can you suggest anything?

I did think about peer-to-peer, guerilla style file sharing but I figure if the music is worth listening to this will always happen anyway, which is fine by me – always has been.

Lastly, yes – I have put my own name out there straight away and the name of the project. I am being as transparent and down to earth as I can about everything involved with this. I have no interest or desire to create a celebrity persona or a band. The project needs a name but I'm not calling myself Bono or The Edge. I'm a plain old human being just like you.

p.s. You're right, Bono and Robin Williams are becoming one and the same person. Scary.
misterseth is offline   Reply With Quote