Music Banter - View Single Post - Is the Guitar Dead/Dying?
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #76 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

I'm honestly glad that the focus of music isn't who can pull off the best solo. The 80s was littered with bands that wrote extremely bland pop songs but kept room for a big bridge where they could pull off a big cheesy solo, and pretend to be Van Halen.

Guitar should remain as an instrument in music but I think the bias towards guitar over other instruments is ridiculous. The fact instruments like Marimba and Xylophone are never considered legit cause they're just silly cartoon kids instruments is ludicrous. I think both produce fantastic sounds. I think if it weren't for the idiotic close mindedness of modern music consumers both could still have a fantastic potential.

The big thing with the guitar is it seems the only instrument where extended play is generally accepted. I mean, You can say a large portion of what Jimi Hendrix did was not proper guitar playing. Guitar was put on a platform for that reason. Now, my big problem isn't that the guitarists is forced to step back, it's that nothing really replaces it's spot on that platform without being treated as a gimmick or joke.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote