Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #1673 (permalink)
Husky McDump
No Shirt

James supplied the music.

The Beta Band - Three EPs

When I first put this cd on play it was something different than I had expected. For some odd reason I thought The Beta Band was an instrumental hardcore band like Dub Trio or something like that. Anyway, these three eps have a sooth, mellow, clean tone to them. Wonderful focus on the drums in the production of these three EPs. There is a constant driving force from the rhythm section.

The vocalist from The Beta Band isn't my favorite, but it does not off-set the quality of music they deliver. Perfect example of my love and hate relationship with this band is on the track "Dogs Got a Bone". At times it feels like you're listening to a few friends aimlessly jamming in someones basement, but in no way is that a bad thing for me but it sounds a little rough. The Beta Band uses subtle samples that dress up their sound beautifully, which separates them in my book from several other bands that are essentially the same. There was a perfect balance of sound between organic and electronic ambiance created on these three EPs.

Personal pros and cons:

Pros: Use of samples, Up right bass on some songs, sound quality and atmosphere that their sound sets, unique blend of genres.

Cons: Length of songs, vocalist(s), overall a "dull" sound for a band not extremely appealing to me, at chaotic points in their songs (such as 1:00 into the song Dr. Baker) seem to get overwhelming for me. I like music with chaotic climaxes but to me they didn't choose the most "tasteful" way I guess.

But these are my own opinions. Overall solid music, a lot better than the majority of music that is out there.

verdict: 6.8/10

Thanks James for showing me The Beta Band's Three Eps!