Music Banter - View Single Post - Socially conscious music
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterseth View Post
Hello everybody,

I've come on this forum to introduce you all to the concept of socially conscious music. Wikipedia suggests that social consciousness can "be defined as social awareness; to be aware of the problems that different societies and communities face on a day-to-day basis; to be conscious of the difficulties and hardships of society."

I believe that achieving real change in the world is only possible if people can be encouraged to take responsibility for their actions as well as their emotions. That's all I'm trying to do myself. This is my way of giving something back to the community.

What do you think? Is this an idea that any of you would support? Please let me know.

Thanks for listening,
Seth Mowshowitz
Welcome, Seth! Your project sounds interesting. I like "music with a message" very much and am curious to learn more about your work.

Quote:
I'm hoping to find other like-minded music heads here who can tell me whether they think this is a good idea, whether anybody else has already done it better or anything else that could contribute to enriching my understanding of music and its role in society.
I think I am probably one of the "like-minded music heads" you will find at the site, so I thought I'd introduce myself to you here quickly in your intro thread so you know there are some more of us out there.

Quote:
mr dave:

I'm putting forward my own emotional response to and interpretation of what's going on in the world – as honestly and directly as I can. I'm not prescribing what others should do but I am trying to live by example. You can go ahead and call me a hippy but I'm concerned about the state of the world that my son will have to live in. I've been around long enough to have something to say about it and I don't hear anybody else saying it. That's my motivation. It is neither entirely altruistic nor entirely selfish – its a bit of both.

In the first year all of the profits (if any) will be invested in Kiva loans until I know how much there is. Then it will go directly to any number of charitable causes. Lastly, yes – I have put my own name out there straight away and the name of the project. I am being as transparent and down to earth as I can about everything involved with this. I have no interest or desire to create a celebrity persona or a band. The project needs a name but
Heh heh...I don't hesitate to prescribe for people what I want them to do. But I agree, most people don't like being giving unsolicited advice! I think positive activist songs that raise awareness without blaming people are probably best for encouraging people to feel free to reconsider their feelings and perceptions.

Microloans are great. I'm glad you are planning to contribute to Kiva.

Quote:
Thank you, I had completely forgotten about that album. I admire her for standing up to the pressures of the music industry and going ahead with that record as it was. I will check it out again more closely in a new light..

I'd also put forward Public Enemy's It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back and Fear of a Black Planet as two very important and successful socially conscious albums from that same period.

Any others?
Seth, if you'd like to, please visit the activist song thread I started so that people can share some of their favorite socially conscious music.

http://www.musicbanter.com/general-m...tml#post907260

Again, welcome!

- Erica
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote